Friday, October 2, 2026

What languages did our Founding Fathers know?



“I was educated at William and Mary college in Williamsburg. I read Greek, Latin, French, Italian, Spanish, and English of course, with something of it’s radix the Anglo-Saxon.”

– Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to Joseph Delaplaine (12 April 1817) – which seems to show that Jefferson thus studied what is now known as “Old English” (or, as he calls it here, “Anglo-Saxon”)

Our Founding Fathers were quite a knowledgeable group, who knew many foreign languages

The Founding Fathers of the United States are among the most brilliant collection of individuals in all of world history. Seldom, if ever, has there been such a remarkable collection of talent anywhere else. Our Founding Fathers were particularly well-versed in things like history – particularly that of Ancient Greece (including Athens), the Roman Republic, the Roman Empire, the British Isles, and our own Colonial America. They also studied the greatest Greek and Roman philosophers, as well as relatively modern philosophers from Britain and France, with great skill. They studied prior laws from the British Isles (such as the Magna Carta), and the great British jurists who expounded on those laws. And, if I may offer an opinion, they helped to create the most successful Constitution that the world has ever known. Nonetheless, many of them were also accomplished polyglots, who attained fluency in a notable variety of foreign languages. Here, too, their genius shines through – with both ancient and modern languages.


Thomas Jefferson

To save time here, I’ll be focusing on some of the most prominent of our Founding Fathers

I have covered their accomplishments in these other spheres elsewhere. Thus, I will instead be focusing here on their attainments in the realm of foreign languages. Here as elsewhere, the Founding Fathers’ record can speak for itself, since I will be trying to use their own words here as much as possible. To shorten this discussion, I will focus entirely on some of the most prominent of our Founding Fathers. This will help to keep our discussion to a more manageable length. It will also help to showcase the knowledge of our Founding Fathers, which stands up well to any reasonable standard.


Thomas Jefferson


Benjamin Franklin once wrote that he learned French, Italian, Spanish, and Latin

First, I will turn to the words of Benjamin Franklin. In 1791, he published “The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin” (first published in English two years later in 1793). In this autobiography, Benjamin Franklin relates this interesting anecdote: “I had begun in 1733 to study languages; I soon made myself so much a master of the French as to be able to read the books with ease. I then undertook the Italian. An acquaintance, who was also learning it, us'd often to tempt me to play chess with him. Finding this took up too much of the time I had to spare for study, I at length refus'd to play any more, unless on this condition, that the victor in every game should have a right to impose a task, either in parts of the grammar to be got by heart, or in translations, etc., which tasks the vanquish'd was to perform upon honour, before our next meeting. As we play'd pretty equally, we thus beat one another into that language. I afterwards with a little painstaking, acquir'd as much of the Spanish as to read their books also.” (Source: Chapter X) In the next paragraph, Franklin added the following: “I have already mention'd that I had only one year's instruction in a Latin school, and that when very young, after which I neglected that language entirely. But, when I had attained an acquaintance with the French, Italian, and Spanish, I was surpris'd to find, on looking over a Latin Testament, that I understood so much more of that language than I had imagined, which encouraged me to apply myself again to the study of it, and I met with more success, as those preceding languages had greatly smooth'd my way.” (Source: Chapter X) Thus, Benjamin Franklin seems to have known French, Italian, Spanish, and Latin. He later honed his French as the first American ambassador to France.


Benjamin Franklin

Franklin might seem to question the teaching of Latin, but elsewhere acknowledges its value

Franklin then continued: “From these circumstances, I have thought that there is some inconsistency in our common mode of teaching languages. We are told that it is proper to begin first with the Latin, and, having acquir'd that, it will be more easy to attain those modern languages which are deriv'd from it; and yet we do not begin with the Greek, in order more easily to acquire the Latin. It is true that, if you can clamber and get to the top of a staircase without using the steps, you will more easily gain them in descending; but certainly, if you begin with the lowest you will with more ease ascend to the top; and I would therefore offer it to the consideration of those who superintend the education of our youth, whether, since many of those who begin with the Latin quit the same after spending some years without having made any great proficiency, and what they have learnt becomes almost useless, so that their time has been lost, it would not have been better to have begun with the French, proceeding to the Italian, etc.; for, tho', after spending the same time, they should quit the study of languages and never arrive at the Latin, they would, however, have acquired another tongue or two, that, being in modern use, might be serviceable to them in common life.” (Source: Chapter X) Franklin might thus seem to be criticizing the teaching of Latin. However, in one of the marginal notes to an earlier work from 1749, Franklin had once said: “I am not here speaking against Greek and Latin. I think Latin at least ought to be well understood by every gentleman. But whatever foreign languages a young man meddles with, that which he should critically study, and labour to get a facility, clearness and elegancy to express himself in, should be his own; and to this purpose he should daily be exercised in it.” (Source: His “Proposals Relating to the Education of Youth in Pennsylvania, [October 1749]”) Thus, Dr. Franklin clarified that he was “not here speaking against Greek and Latin” (as cited above). He even thought that “Latin at least ought to be well understood by every gentleman” (as cited above).


Benjamin Franklin

John Adams had less comfort with Ancient Greek, but more comfort with Latin and French

John Adams had an excellent reading knowledge of both Latin and French. John Adams’ spoken French was likewise honed by his years as a diplomat in France. However, Adams admitted that his reading knowledge of Ancient Greek was a bit more limited. Nonetheless, he did have some basic knowledge of Ancient Greek. This may be best evidenced by a comment from a letter in 1814. Specifically, in a letter to Thomas Jefferson, John Adams wrote therein that “I am very glad you have seriously read Plato: and still more rejoiced to find that your reflections upon him, so perfectly harmonize with mine. Some thirty years ago I took upon me the severe task of going through all his works. With the help of two Latin translations, and one English and one French translation[footnote] and comparing some of the most remarkable passages with the Greek, I laboured through the tedious toil.” (Source: Letter of 16 July 1814) More about his nuanced reactions to Plato in another post. For our present purposes, let me just note that John Adams seems to have been more comfortable “With the help of two Latin translations, and one English and one French translation.” That is, he was only “comparing some of the most remarkable passages” with the Greek (as cited above). Nonetheless, his skill as a language-learner is remarkable. Even with these struggles, he may still be one of our country’s most multi-lingual presidents.


John Adams

James Madison studied French, Latin, Greek, and Hebrew (Jefferson’s exploits noted earlier)

I quoted earlier the words of Thomas Jefferson about his language exploits. Again, these words are from 1817. Specifically, in a letter to Joseph Delaplaine, Thomas Jefferson said that “I was educated at William and Mary college in Williamsburg. I read Greek, Latin, French, Italian, Spanish, and English of course, with something of it’s radix the Anglo-Saxon.” (Source: Letter of 12 April 1817). Among other things, this seems to show that Jefferson thus studied what is now known as “Old English” – or, as he calls it here, “Anglo-Saxon.” But Jefferson also lists here “Greek, Latin, French, Italian, [and] Spanish” (as cited above). As with Benjamin Franklin and John Adams, Jefferson’s French skills were later being honed by his serving as the American ambassador to France. In 1816, his sometime pupil James Madison once wrote a “Sketch for an Autobiography.” Referring to himself in the third person, James Madison actually wrote therein that “At the age of about 12. years, he [James Madison] was placed by his father under the tuition of Donald Robertson, from Scotland; a man of great learning, and an eminent teacher in the County of King & Queen. With him he [Madison] studied the Latin and Greek languages; was taught to read but not to speak the French;[footnote] and besides arithmetic and geography, made some progress in algebra and geometry. Miscellaneous literature also was embraced by the plan of the School.” (Source: A document written circa 30 September 1816) Later in this letter, James Madison added that he “availed himself of this opportunity of acquiring a slight knowlege of the Hebrew which was not among the College Studies.” (Source: Same as above) Thus, we know that Madison “was taught to read but not to speak the French,” that he “studied the Latin and Greek languages,” and that he “availed himself of this opportunity of acquiring a slight knowlege of the Hebrew” (as cited above).


James Madison

Conclusion: In this area, as well as in many others, their true genius is shining through

Thus, many of our Founding Fathers could clearly hold their own as language-learners. In this area, as well as in many others, their true genius is shining through. Again, I have tried to limit this discussion to some of the most prominent of our Founding Fathers. But similar things could be said about many others of the founding generation. This even includes a fair number of those whose names are mostly forgotten to history, such as George Mason – one of the most brilliant legal minds of his generation. (More about him here.)

Footnote to this blog post:

George Washington seems to have spoken only his native English. But, regarding Alexander Hamilton, Hamilton’s own writings seem to be largely silent about which languages he may have spoken. Nonetheless, the comments of Hamilton’s sons and contemporaries suggest that Alexander Hamilton knew French, Latin, Greek, and Hebrew. They even indicate that Alexander Hamilton may have spoken some Modern Danish, picked up during his childhood in the Caribbean. These things suggest that, as with many other areas, Alexander Hamilton held his own with other Founding Fathers regarding his foreign languages.

If you liked this post, you might also like:












See also this series about
Modern languages

Note: These posts do not have to be read in any particular order. Since time periods overlap, there isn’t much chronological order to observe here.

See also this series about
My own experiences

Note: These posts do not have to be read in any particular order. Since time periods overlap, there isn’t much chronological order to observe here.


No comments:

Post a Comment